Introducing ANIMATION 2020 - a lean set of clean and beautiful brushes developed for animation in Procreate 5! This was designed to be your go-to rendering kit for animation, carefully modeled after the look and feel of shows such as Adventure Time and The Midnight Gospel.
Animation in Procreate is already a powerful 2D solution, and is only going to get better with time. Now is the time to master this new medium, and gain a real edge!
Only a small handful of easy-to-use brushes, all carefully designed and curated for the various tasks you'll deal with as an animator. The beautiful Monoline Inker is low-key my new favorite inking brush, it has really crisp clean edges that work perfect with Color Drop (for doing fills) and was designed to look exactly like the linework in contemporary professional animation.
ANIMATION 2020 Includes 7 ESSENTIAL Animation Brushes:
Airbrush Mist: When you think of an airbrush in digital art, you probably think of just a round featureless circle. But animators have been using real airbrushes for decades and they deserve so much more credit! We designed these to look and behave like real airbrushes. This one is a broad misty application for shading large areas with a fine texture.
- Airbrush Flicks: Sometimes you just want to use an airbrush for little flicks of texture. This is for that!
- Airbrush Medium: This airbrush has chunkier particle sizes, and a smaller radius which makes it great for shading along edges or small spots.
- Chunky Stipple: This puts down really chunky dots, similar to a tattoo gun (but really its for stippling).
- Monoline Inker: Straight up my new favorite inking brush. Has a very subtle (but crisp) warbly edge that gives it a handmade feel, while being a totally clean line that works beautifully with Color Drop for fills. Very consistent weight but will respond to a bit of pressure, ever-so-slightly.
- Monoline Chunky Tapered: Just like the Monoline Inker, but has a sharper more tapered point to it, and is way more responsive to pressure so it can go very large or very small.
- Blob Brush: This is perhaps the most basic brush ever, you definitely already have a round brush. But this blob brush is set up to behave exactly like we want, so we threw it in anyway!
Some general tips for these brushes:
- The inking brushes are "air-tight", so you can draw a circle and color drop will fill it very nicely with no seams.
- The smoothest animation is typically 24 frames-per-second. However its common to save "animating on ones" for the fastest motion. 12 frames-per-second is a nice compromise.
- Hold Frames! You can create much longer animations by efficiently using "hold frames" in the animation timeline which bypasses the layer limit. If you want your animation to be 24fps (on ones), but animated on twos (12fps) just make each frame hold for one additional frame (tap the frame in the timeline to bring up the options). If any motion looks choppy, remove the hold frame and add an extra in-between frame.
- You can add sound to your animations, just import them to iMovie or your video editor of choice, and add your own sounds after the fact! You can also animate along to sound, but it requires some old-school animation timing charts
Here are some more short animations made with these brushes:
Procreate 5 is here, and its amazing! You can now install a LOT of brushes at once using the new Files app in iOS 11. We recommend backing up your purchase using an iCloud account (its free), or syncing them to Files with iTunes.
First things first... USE SAFARI on iPad!
Also make sure you open the link in the full Safari app (it must be Safari, no other browser will work), as the side-loaded one that gmail/other email apps use won’t work.
Note: Brush files end in *.brushset
Once you click the file name/download button, a blue arrow in a circle should appear in the top right corner of Safari. This is the "downloads" area. Tap this icon and you should see your download appear in a list like so:
Simply tap the file and it should automatically open in Procreate. Depending on if you've performed this before, it may ask you what you want to do with the file after tapping it, in which case you would simply find the Procreate icon and send it there.